Monday, May 24, 2010

Tevez wants to stake his claim

Carlos Tevez believes the friendly against Canada is his best opportunity to convince coach Diego Maradona he should start.

Argentina have a wealth of striking talent available and Tevez wants to impress in his team's final match before they kick off their World Cup campaign against Nigeria on June 12.

"I always try to be physically fit. That's the important thing. I'm trying to reach the peak of my form. Then, the coach makes the final decision and we have to respect him," the Manchester City forward said.

"There is a long time to go before the first World Cup match. In training, I believed I have proved I am ready to play. I'm motivated by wearing the national shirt."

In the Canada match, Tevez is reportedly expected to play in a three-man attack also featuring Lionel Messi and Gonzalo Higuain, and he said: "If I play with another two forwards I'd be fine because I already did that many times."

Messi is expected to play despite an accidental clash of heads with team-mate Javier Mascherano in training on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment